All the songs are simple are easy to learn and only use a few notes. Here are five songs that are perfect for beginners, to help you pick up the basics and get started on your journey of whistling mastery.
1) “Michelle” by The Beatles – This song has only six notes in it, which makes it easy to remember how to whistle along with the melody. Plus, this song is super popular- everyone is familiar with The Beatles and knows Michelle! Below is a link to the YouTube video to get familiar with the song in case you need a refresher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKJHKMnxQS8&feature=kp2]Watch The Beatles sing “Michelle.”
2) “Mary Had A Little Lamb” – This old classic is a true whistler’s song. It only has three notes, and it never changes pitch- if you can whistle “Mary Had A Little Lamb,” you can whistle anything! I could not find a video for whistling but included a learn on piano video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gHBRWsC3Xw Watch this video on how to play Mary had a little lamb on the piano.
3) “Be True To Your School” by The Beach Boys – This country classic is known by many different titles, but you’ll know it when you hear it! It only has four notes, and it has a nice rhythm to follow along with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8ACmE3ig8 Watch The Beach Boys sing “Be True to Your School.”
4) “Jamaica Farewell” by Harry Belafonte – This song might sound complicated at first, but it’s actually one of the easiest songs to whistle! It has eight simple notes, and it only uses the same pitch twice. You might recognize this song from an old Jamaican tourism commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDJcCt3lo0 Watch Harry Belafonte sing “Jamaica Farewell” to his home island of Jamaica.[/url]
5) “Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Allegro” by Mozart – Don’t be intimidated by the piece as it will be more challenging. This classical piece was written in 1787, and it’s still a big favorite today. Not only is this song great for whistling, but understanding the origin of your favorite songs is also extremely interesting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxQM4mCrUM Watch the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra balance out some Mozart.
Learning to whistle can be a fun skill that anyone of any age can pick up. Five songs in particular are perfect for beginner whistlers, and they’re all easy enough for even the most novice musician to learn. By including one of these five popular tunes in your repertoire, you’ll have something catchy and memorable to share with others! If you want help picking out some other great beginner-friendly music or if you need assistance practicing so that your new skills stick around, we’ve got exactly what you need: just ask us!
Learn more about whistling by viewing our All About Whistling section.